The Excalibur

This Week in History (9/9 – 9/15)

Hunter Hoskins, Staff Writer

September 9th: On this day in 1976, Communist Chinese revolutionary and statesman Mao Zedong, who had been suffering from Parkinson’s disease and other health problems, died in Beijing at the age of 82. In 1942, a Japanese floatplane drops incendiary bombs on an Oregon state forest. In 1776, Congress renames the nation United States of America.

September 10th: On this day in 1942, a Tunisian immigrant convicted of murder, became the last person executed by guillotine. In 1897, a 25-year-old London taxi driver named George Smith became the first person ever arrested for drunk driving after slamming his cab into a building.  In 1608, English adventurer John Smith is elected council president of Jamestown.

September 11th: On this day, at 8:45 a.m., 2001, an American Airlines Boeing 767 loaded with 20,000 gallons of jet fuel crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York City. In 1965, the first Cavalry Division (Airmobile) began to arrive in South Vietnam at Qui Nhon, bringing U.S. troop strength in South Vietnam to more than 125,000. In 1940, Hitler focused East and sent his troops toward Romania.

September 12th: On this day in 1953, Khrushchev was elected as the Soviet leader six months after the death of Soviet leader Joseph Stalin. In 1933, Szilárd’s stroll sets off a nuclear chain reaction. In 1861, the first battle of Lexington, Missouri begins.

September 13th: On this day in 1990, Law and Order debuted. In 1814, Francis Scott Key wrote a poem originally titled “The Defence of Fort McHenry,”, known today as the ‘Star Spangled Banner’, after he witnessed the Maryland fort being bombarded by the British during the War of 1812.

September 14th:  On this day in 1901, U.S. President William McKinley died after being shot by a deranged anarchist during the Pan-American Exposition. In 1812, Napoleon entered Moscow.

September 15th: On this day in 1978, boxer Muhammad Ali defeated Leon Spinks. In 1916, during the Battle of the Somme, the British launched a major offensive against the Germans, employing tanks for the first time in history. In 1914, the first trenches were dug on the western front.