The Excalibur

DECA Career Development Conference

Chloe Dougherty, Staff Writer

This year, the members of East Ridge High School DECA competed at the Career Development Conference, a state level competition, during the first weekend of March. East Ridge High School students made up 53 out of the about 2,000 students that competed at the conference. Our students competed in role-play, presentation, and written project events in the fields of marketing, finance, hospitality, entrepreneurship, and management.

DECA allocates considerable time and resources to ensure its members are well connected with one another and businesses to ensure their success in the future. To take advantage of these opportunities, East Ridge participated in an array of activities, including karaoke with all of Florida DECA and a chapter dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings. Both ventures were remarkable opportunities for East Ridge DECA members to bond with one another, as well as others like them in the state.

The location of the Florida DECA competition, Hilton Orlando, inevitably lead to students spending their downtime across the street at Disney Springs. Some students ate lunch at Blaze Pizza, while others satisfied their appetites at Earl of Sandwich; some students enjoyed a lovely shopping experience, while others that presented early on Saturday satisfied their need for relaxation by seeing a movie at the AMC Theater.

After presentations and tests, trips to Disney Springs, and soaking up the sun by the pool, it was time for the closing ceremony on Saturday night. East Ridge students arrived at the event weary on whether or not they’d advance to the next competition level: nationals. As each event was announced one by one, East Ridge’s name was called up to stage time and time again. In the end, 53 students qualified for nationals, which will be held in Atlanta, Georgia. East Ridge DECA and Mrs. Seaton are proud of all the students that participated and were recognized at CDC, including the three seniors that were awarded scholarships. These seniors include officers Zachary Marin and Elizabeth Rodgers, as well as Angel Lizardo, who was specially awarded a scholarship in recognition of a victim of the Parkland shooting, and a member of DECA.

Mrs. Seaton recognizes all the hard work and dedication her students put into their role-plays and projects and the time they spent studying for their tests. East Ridge DECA is looking forward to their trip to Atlanta and the opportunity to connect with DECA students from across the nation.