The Excalibur

Busy Schedules Greet the Theatre Program at East Ridge This Spring

Pictured: Theatre director Vince Santo directs actors Walton Cobb (Alumni) and Brianna Stein (Senior)  in preparation for the comedy Greater Tuna, running February 28th through March 3rd on Mainstage

Pictured: Theatre director Vince Santo directs actors Walton Cobb (Alumni) and Brianna Stein (Senior) in preparation for the comedy Greater Tuna, running February 28th through March 3rd on Mainstage

Alexis Bentley, Staff Writer

The theatre program at ERHS has been known for producing high quality productions of musicals and straight plays throughout the year. Whether on Mainstage, which takes place in the ERHS auditorium with lavish sets, costumes, lighting, and sound, or in the BARN theatre, which takes place in our black-box theatre and offers a more up-close and interactive experience to all the action, the East Ridge Theatre Department works hard to entertain people from all over Central Florida. With Vince Santo as the director of the theatre program at East Ridge, he makes sure to work extremely hard to give audiences a better show each night.

This year, things have been getting busier around the spring portion of the theatre season, to the point where there are shows opening almost every week. From The Complete History of America (Abridged), directed by the tech and acting teacher, Martin Rohleder, to the large, end-of-year, musical Fiddler On The Roof, directed by Vince Santo, Jason Misner, and Christine Goussyra, it seems like the theatre program is in for a long and busy ride. The question is however, is the busy schedule proving to be too stressful on the students? I’ve taken the time to ask some theatre students about what they think about the schedule.

Pictured: Seymour Krelborn, played by Charlie McCoy (Sophomore), tries to reason with the carnivorous plant Audrey ll, which was puppeteered by Grace Lozada (Senior) and voiced by James Bentley (Junior), in the musical horror-comedy Little Shop of Horrors.

According to more than half of the theatre students interviewed, the busy schedule helps to keep them more active around the school campus in a pursuit to give audiences a good show. “It’s a good life experience because it helps prepare you for the real world of theatre,” says Jared Montgomery, an 18-year-old senior at East Ridge, who has been in theatre for all four years of his high school career; and he is absolutely right. Most actors on Broadway do shows almost every day of the week and sometimes even two shows a day during the weekend!

On the other hand, there were some students who said the schedule could be a little less jam packed, with one of them saying, “I think if it was slowed down a little bit, it would allow for more leniency.” However, most of the kids think that it may be busy, but it always pays off in the end with the wonderful shows that are put on for wonderful audiences. Take senior Annabelle Andrusko for example, who said, “I feel like we’re always up to something, but I like it that way.” But the main defining factor is, would the members of the theatre program recommend pursuing theatre at ERHS?

Well, the answer is a big yes! Every theatre kid interviewed said yes to recommending that kids join the theatre program here. Everybody also had different reasons. Like Ciera Tuesca, a freshman who is currently playing Charlene Bumiller in Greater Tuna and was most recently seen in The Complete History of America (Abridged), who said, “It’s an amazing way to channel creativity or conquer a fear.” Or sophomore Camren Raposo, who said, “If you are a shy person or don’t have a lot of friends, then [theatre] will be great for you because everyone is so friendly and you will make friends in seconds.” Or take junior James Bentley for example, who said, “If you like to perform, have fun with other actors, and really perfect your craft, there’s no better school in Florida to do that than East Ridge.”

Pictured: The cast and crew of The Complete History of America (Abridged), directed by the tech theater and acting teacher Mr. Roh

Overall, the main theme of this article was to answer the questions of if the busy theatre schedule was too much and if the students of the theatre program would recommend it for others to take next year. And to summarize the answers given, while, to some outside the programs, it may seem very hectic and confusing, to the theatre students, it’s just what they need to stay active around campus. And all of them would recommend theatre for a course to take next year. To put it in the words of senior Jacob Gray, who was, at first, part of the tech theater class his junior year and then joined musical theatre his next year, “I think that being able to express myself and actually find something I really enjoy that was originally really out of my comfort zone is really amazing. The whole experience has honestly changed me as a person and I’m glad I’m a part of it.”

When asked for advice about joining the musical theatre program next year, Mr. Santo said, “Be committed, make sure you have the time to actually do theatre, and just be dedicated to what you’re doing.” You can find show information, tickets, and our full show schedule for this year on the theatre website at https://www.erhstheatre.com/.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Busy Schedules Greet the Theatre Program at East Ridge This Spring”

1. ciera on February 22nd, 2018 4:05 pm

This was such a well written article!!! Great job Alexis!!!!

2. AMANDA on February 28th, 2018 11:52 am

Great Job! It was so good

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Busy Schedules Greet the Theatre Program at East Ridge This Spring

Arts and Entertainment

Blood Brothers — An East Ridge Production

Arts and Entertainment

Musical Resurgence in the Modern Era

News

The United States “Space Force”

Features

DECA’s College Fair

News

Catalonia’s Independence

• Comics

Space Force

Features

The History of McDonald’s

Features

This Week in History (9/23 – 9/29)

Features

This Week in History (9/16 – 9/22)

• Comics

The Nike Controversy

The Student News Site of East Ridge High School