The Excalibur

• March 4Teacher Workday- No School 3/15

• March 4Spring Break 3/16-3/23

Female Directors Excluded from Oscar Nominations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Greta Gerwig directing Ladybird

Greta Gerwig directing Ladybird

Greta Gerwig directing Ladybird

Greta Gerwig directing Ladybird

Nayla Delgado, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, upon the announcement of the 2019 Academy Awards nominations, many were quick to notice an ongoing trend in the ‘best director’ category—a lack of female directors. This news was disappointing to many Oscars fans that were hoping to see improvement of representation despite the Oscars history of lax regard towards female directors.

The 91st annual award show marked a return to a male-only line up of nominations for ‘best director’ after last year’s nomination of Greta Gerwig for her film Ladybird. Gerwig was the first woman to be nominated in ten years after Katheryn Bigelow, who was the first woman to win ‘best director’ for her film The Hurt Locker at the 2010 Academy awards. This will be the 81st year to have an all-male lineup while Gerwig and Bigelow are only two of the five total female ‘best director’ nominees in the 91 years of the Academy Awards, none of which have been women of color. On the other hand, female representation has improved in many other nominations such as many behind-the-scenes categories where women made up 25% of nominees. This year also marks the highest amount of female nominations in the history of the Oscars, 62 out of the 225 nominations were women. Despite the improvement, that means only 28% of the nominations went to women which is an outstanding gap.

Although there are many obvious top contenders for a female nomination in ‘best director’, many have pointed out that there are a variety of reasons why the Academy could have chosen the current ‘best director’ nominees over many other worthy contenders, however, the same technicalities could be argued for the films that did get nominations. This contributes to the idea that order for a woman to become nominated for ‘best director’ they must truly be above average in comparison to male peers. With a group of equally fit contenders such as the one that we see this year, getting a female nomination is much less likely.

However, lack of female representation is not the only controversy of the Oscars this year as this year’s show has been shrouded in a multitude of controversies, from its lack of a host to intense criticism of many other nominations. The expected host, Kevin Hart, announced he was no longer interested in the position after a controversy involving the resurfacing homophobic tweets and jokes he has made. The Oscars have chosen to move forward without a host, which has only happened one other instance in 1989. Criticisms of other categories have also been rampant including the multiple nominations for the film Bohemian Rhapsody, whose director has received many sexual assault allegations and the films Green Book and Detainment, which are both based on true stories. However, the actual people the movies were based on strongly opposed the movies for misinterpreting information or dramatizing serious events for profit.

Amidst the #MeToo movement and increased calls for diversity and inclusiveness, viewers will be quick to scrutinize the lack of representation. The Oscars’ inability to show progression has drawn much criticism. Despite the notable improvements, it is evident that the Oscars have a long way to go to show true inclusiveness.