Lost Lake Science Fair

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lost Lake Science Fair

Sophie Davis, Staff Writer

This past Thursday, the East Ridge High School Science National Honors Society volunteered at the Lost Lake Elementary School STEAM night. As the school worked to promote Science, Technology Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics fields, SNHS students provided imaginative science experiments, working to wow the elementary students who came to watch.

The night began with Science National Honors Society students explaining their “Milk Magic” experiment, where the proteins and fats within milk would be distributed by the liquids in dish soap. The distribution of these fats became evident with the addition of food coloring to the milk mixture.

As the night progressed, members continued to instruct the elementary schoolers about the wonders of science, but also prepared for the main event: Elephant Toothpaste. This ‘grand finale’ is a mere chemical reaction, an exothermic one in particular. Exothermic means that when the elements are broken down, energy is released. With the addition of food dye, the Elephant Toothpaste wowed elementary schoolers and their parents alike.

Students were ever-curious about the science behind the “Magic Milk” and “Elephant Toothpaste”. They asked questions about the equipment and tools used to conduct the labs and the hard science behind them. The night was a success, as it was Science National Honor Society’s first volunteer event of the year, setting the bar high for more to come.