The Excalibur

• December 13Winter Pep Rally -- 1/15

• December 13Winter Week -- 1/14-1/18

• December 13Winter Break -- 12/21-1/2

Impact of Vaping Regulations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Impact of Vaping Regulations

Jacqueline Ohlrich, Staff Writer

Through the last couple of months, a new trend of vaping has arisen as a replacement for cigarettes. With the increased use of Juuls and other vaping products, we are seeing certain forms of precautions that schools such as East Ridge High School are taking. The steps that our school is taking includes the administration confiscating and testing such products for any drugs This type of action has not only been taken by the schools but through the companies themselves.

Companies, such as the popular Juul, have taken precautions that have been said to be an action to make smoking less appealing to underage smokers. The CEO of Juul, Kevin Burns, stated that while JUUL is committed to improving lives with the goal of eliminations cigarettes, they have caused the unintended and serious problem of underage smoking. They said that they don’t want anyone to use JUUL products that don’t already used nicotine products. In order to solve this problem, Juul is temporarily going to stop selling their flavored pods and those who buy it online will be required to show proof of age. A few days after this announcement,\ the FDA stated the new steps they aim to take to prevent underage smoking, of which include preventing access to flavored tobacco products and banning menthol in cigarettes.

They then also continued their trend of safety through closing their Facebook and Instagram. This was done so Juul wouldn’t be seen as marketing to children. This attempt to stop the marketing to underage smokers may not consider the thousands of videos already online and continually being put up online of teenagers doing all sorts of tricks with vaping and therefore doing the work of advertising for Juul. This demand does not exclude the youth who make a majority of the videos in order to make money through sponsors and popularity. Though Juul does not sponsor any underage smokers, third party vape companies see these people and sponsor them whether or not they are underage.

E-cigarettes were originally made in order to give cigarette addicts an alternative and, with adults being over 7 billion of the 9 billion e-smokers, there are questions of whether vaping regulations are more harmful than helpful in the long run. With the regulations, it would be harder for people with an addiction to have alternatives. Many scientists and advocates are attempting to make this point by calling these new regulations “harm reduction”. The harm reduction with vaping is used to show how products with less of the nicotine should be promoted for those who are addictive. After all, people smoke for the nicotine but die because of the tars. With E-cigarettes proving to be tremendously safer than tobacco cigarettes, there are many questions of whether it is worth risking creating teen addicts to save millions of lives.