The Excalibur

• March 4Teacher Workday- No School 3/15

• March 4Spring Break 3/16-3/23

Todd’s Tomatoes — Criminal Investigations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tyler Kieft, Staff Writer

Last month, on August 29th, 2018, federal authorities conducted a search warrant at Todd’s Tomatoes and Wholesale Produce in Sanford, Florida.

According to their website, the company is owned by Dirk W. Miller, the son of the founder, William P. Miller, who established the business in 1985 in the Daytona Beach area. Since their small startup, the business has expanded from one delivery truck to twenty-seven delivery trucks with around 2,000 total customers. Specializing in over 1,000 products and servicing several restaurants, school districts, and military installations, Todd’s Tomatoes is a rather successful local establishment.

Despite this friendly and community-driven company, investigators from the Department of Homeland Security felt the need to issue a search warrant on the site, spawning much mystery around cause. Since the date of the search, the only statement regarding the reason of the search dismisses and conceals such information. Regional Department of Justice spokesman William Daniels said on the situation that the “search warrant remains sealed and the investigation is ongoing.” With no reveals from the departments involved in the past few weeks, only speculation based on known information can be made.

The agencies involved in the investigation include the Air Force Office of Special Investigations and the Defense Criminal Investigation Service (DCIS). The Air Force Office of Special Investigations specializes in protecting critical technology and information, detecting and mitigating threats, engaging foreign adversaries and threats offensively, and conducting major criminal investigations. DCIS, on the other hand, specializes in significant fraud and corruption, defective and counterfeit products, health care fraud, and illegal theft of military technology.

With this information, it can be gathered that whatever the agencies were looking for is related to specialties that both agencies have. Based on that, it’s likely that the Air Force’s Office protection of critical technology and DCIS’ priority of illegal military theft line up and relate to the event. Should that be the case, the trucks servicing military bases could explain how the employees would gain access to such technology.

All suspicions have neither been confirmed nor denied, as employees from Todd’s Tomatoes and spokespeople from the agencies have refused to offer any more statements on the case.

Although William Daniels claims the investigation to still be in action, the business is back up and running, and has been since the day after the search, on August 30th.

When Theo Hollerbach, owner of Hollerbach’s Willow Tree Café and customer of Todd’s Tomatoes was asked about his thoughts on the company, he stated “We’ve always gotten good produce; it comes in six days a week. We are happy with their service and their product, and they’ve been doing good business as far as I know. They’re honest people so they’re being I’m sure, and they want to do well for the community and their business.”

If any new information on the situation arises, this story will be updated.